Sibboleth
Today in class my ear became attuned to an area of pronunciation my oral communication students need a little help with.
At the time, I was drilling them in the proper use of "could".
"I'm going camping this weekend," I said. "Do you have any suggestions for what I could do while I'm there?"
"You could... you... you could..." They were having trouble coming up with possible camp activities, so I began pantomiming.
"You could play fishing!"
"Go fishing," I corrected, and mimed something else.
"You could climb a mountain!"
I acted out swimming as best I could.
"You could go jazz dancing!" We all laughed, while I continued flailing until someone answered correctly.
"Okay, now this one might be harder," I warned them, and sat down to warm my hands by a pretend fire.
"You could... campfire?"
"Good, but what verb should you use?"
"Burn!"
"No, it's already burning. Let me show you more clearly." I got up, walked to a starting point, turned around, walked back toward the fire, and made a big show of plopping myself on the ground.
Sudden recognition lit up the students' faces, and all four yelled in unison --
"Shit!"
"What?"
"You could shit by the campfire!" They were so pleased, and looked expectantly for my affirmation.
For a moment, the room was silent.
"Okay, good! Now, let's work on your pronunciation."
Christine Bee Luxury Knits
2 comments:
That's the shilliest story I've heard in awhile. Love it.
i love your stuff. I LOVE IT SHIT YEAH! no serious i enjoy reading it. more more more more
Post a Comment