Thursday, January 17, 2008

Hide and Seek

"What is at the top of your list? Pick three random emotions (jealousy, wistfulness, etc.) and write a list of five experiences that cause you to feel each emotion. After all lists are complete, write a summary stating what each emotion means to you, based on your observations of the list for that emotion."

Humility
1. Losing at anything.
2. Leading to fill a volunteer gap when I know someone more highly-skilled could lead better, if only they were willing.
3. Debating with my husband about almost anything. (See #1.)
4. Teaching. (See #2.)
5. Losing at Scrabulous.

Humility is what I feel when comparison of myself to others is unflattering to me.

Bitterness
1. Watching politically partisan escapades.
2. Knowing gas in the U.S. will most likely never again cost less than $3 a gallon.
3. Recognizing impenetrable social cliques as they painfully exclude non-members.
4. Reading a history of atrocities committed in the name of Jesus Christ.
5. Losing someone to death knowing they never knew Life.

Bitterness is my response when any response seems powerless to change the situation.

Contentment
1. Walking home knowing who's waiting for me there.
2. Hearing my littlest brother's voice on the phone.
3. Watching an inspiring documentary film.
4. Seeing another believer baptized.
5. Purposeful times of prayer and worship with God's family.

Contentment grows out of interactions with others who snap me out of my self-absorption and remind me of an intention far superior to mine for a world far greater than mine.

Tag! If you read this, you're IT!

4 comments:

mpenzi said...

I want to play!
I keep getting stuck at "pick three random emotions." Maybe if I had a list. and some darts.

What is scrabulous? oh, wait. my friend Wikipedia says it's a facebook thing. figures.

Bethany said...

Your friend Wikipedia can give you a list of emotions to throw a dart at - that's how I came up with my three!

mpenzi said...

darts yielded: depression, anxiety, shame. I'm not sure I can stomach that. So I'm going to try again tomorrow.

Unknown said...

I <3 your blog, and added you to my google reader.