Saturday, January 12, 2008

Irritating Conscience

"I know this sounds weird, but I've decided not to speed anymore."

"Oh. Why?"

"I was driving on the freeway today behind a super-slow car, and as I passed it on the right, I made a point to glare at the driver - to discover a cute old couple that I would be perfectly loving to in any other situation. Then I was annoyed with myself for always being so crabby when I commute. Suddenly it hit me: Jesus would drive the speed limit!"

"You don't think Jesus would go with the flow of traffic?"

"Well... yes, but I'm not saying I'll be oblivious or go 65 in the fast lane - I can stay to the right and let people pass and all that. I just won't keep rushing past everyone else. I mean, it's not like I've achieved a level of skill that exempts me from safety laws or anything."

"True."

"So, it may take me longer to get places, but I'm going to stop viewing other cars and their drivers as obstacles and I'm going to start navigating traffic collaboratively."

"Sounds good. Just, when we're going places together, let me drive."

No comments: